Pages

Saturday 21 January 2017

{Review} The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight #1) by Melissa Grey

20345202Posted by Donna
Release Date: April 28th, 2015
Finished Date: December 31st, 2016
Publishers: Delacorte Press
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 357
Buy: Amazon UK Amazon US / The Book Depo 
 
Magic lives in our darkest corners.

Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she’s ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she’s fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it’s time to act.

Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, though if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it’s how to hunt down what she wants…and how to take it.

But some jobs aren’t as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.

The Review: YA Fantasy is really becoming my favourite genre and The Girl at Midnight just proves how strong this genre is becoming. I’ve had sitting on my shelf since it first released. I knew I wanted to read it but as normal it was just finding the right time and the right time was Christmas break and I’m really glad I decided to read it. 

I really enjoyed The Girl at Midnight and I loved Echo’s story. It does start of quiet slow but after you’ve read the first few chapters you can see where the story plans to go and it was something I was immediately excited about. The story is about a teenage thief who is also an orphan. She is taken in by an ancient race of people called the Avicen and brought into their world where they are at war with a different race – the Drakharin. They are all after the mythical firebird which is supposed to bring peace and stop the war to the person who finds it. 

This book surprised me. I wasn’t too sure I was going to enjoy it at first but once I got past the first 50 or so pages, I was gripped. It was a great introduction to the series and you definitely get enough information about each different race to enjoy and under their worlds. I really enjoy stories that are unique and I did think this one was. It does have some similarities to Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor but there are only minor similarities and still stands out from some of the other fantasy stories I’ve read. 

Echo was a great character – one full of passion and fun to read about. She enjoys getting into mischief and being chased through portals from angry people who she has stolen from. She’s loyal to the Avicen but what I found and didn’t really like was how they weren’t the same to her – purely based that she’s human. She helps them and they just disregard her – except for a few that have come to care for her. The Drakharin – Cauis in particular were great. As a reader though I have to say I’m not sure whose team to be on – Team Avicen or Team Drakharin. I know it’s never that simple with fantasy books but the Drakharin don’t appear to be as evil as the Avicen make them out to be so I’m hoping to get some more information about them with the next book.

The story also has the right mix of action, suspense, trouble and of course romance. By the end of the book I honestly didn’t want it to end. There is a big reveal as well that I still can’t believe I didn’t figure out – great twist!

I for one can not wait to continue with this series! 


No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis